Your initial consultation with your attorney is a great opportunity for you to feel out the attorney and make sure you are comfortable with your choice about the law firm and lawyer. To make sure you are a good fit, consider the following checklist.
Plan Ahead for Your Meeting
First, write down a short narrative that fully describes the incident you are seeking legal counsel for. If it is a personal injury claim, you will want to provide the who, what, when, where, and how of the claim.
- WHO – a complete list of who the players are in the case is necessary during the initial consultation because attorneys are required to run conflict checks to ensure they don’t have a conflict of interest. An example of a conflict of interest would be if you had a personal injury claim from an automobile accident and the other driver was previously represented by Shlesinger & de Villeneuve. A complete list of witnesses to the accident is also important for the attorney to have as soon as possible.
- WHAT – provide a short narrative of what happened the day of the injury and what has happened since the date of the injury. Also, provide the attorney with a brief description of what you are hoping to achieve as a result of the case.
- WHEN – consult an attorney at Shlesinger & de Villeneuve as soon as you are able to. There are statutes of limitations on most cases. If you do not initiate a case within so much time of the injury, your claim may be lost forever. If you are able, provide a timeline of your injury since the date of the injury.
- WHERE – where it occurred and what jurisdiction it is in. Also, a list of all the medical providers you have used since the date of the injury.
- HOW – how did the injury occur. If it was an automobile accident, provide your account of what happened to the attorney and also provide any photographs and other evidence that you may have.
Contact Our Firm
Lastly, always write out a list of questions you have for your attorney. Don’t hesitate to ask about the attorney’s particular experience in an area. It’s important that you are comfortable with the attorney you choose. Contact us to begin your consultation.