Though there are many legal protections for bicyclists and pedestrians in Oregon, there are still dangers lurking when you are near roads. Injuries resulting from vehicle versus bicycle accidents are much worse for cyclists and can lead to life-altering injuries and disability. Cars owe cyclists and pedestrians a duty of care on the road. If you are a cyclist in Oregon, it is important to understand the risks and how to protect yourself in the event of a crash.
There are several damaging and life-changing injuries for those unfortunate enough to be in cycling accidents. The more serious ones include:
- Fractured and broken bones. These injuries can be simple fractures, which may be more complex, painful, and require surgery.
- Facial injuries. This includes scarring and dental issues.
- Traumatic brain and head injuries. Even cyclists who have helmets can suffer head injuries in a crash. Often, the force of a crash can lead to concussions, cuts, and other serious injuries.
- Internal bleeding. In some cases, there is internal damage to organs.
- Back and spinal cord injuries. The force of the crash often leads to whiplash, muscle and nerve damage in the neck and back. Spinal cord injuries are particularly serious.
Common Causes of Bike Accidents
Though the cyclist may be responsible for the accident in some cases, it is more common that the fault rests with the driver. Causes include:
- Failing to look out for cyclists at crosswalks and junctions
- Driving over the speed limit or otherwise recklessly
- Cycling recklessly
- Driving distracted, such as eating, texting, or finding directions
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Cyclists moving unpredictably
Accidents between cars and bikes have catastrophic consequences for cyclists.
If You Have Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident
If you or a loved one has suffered a severe injury because of a driver’s negligence, you could receive compensation for that harm. Work with the skilled attorneys at Shlesinger & deVilleneuve Attorneys P.C. for exceptional legal counsel.