Are you concerned about falls from elevation when at work? Falls are one of the leading causes of injury in the construction industry and similar workplaces. Falls from ladders, roofs, scaffolding, platforms or other elevated areas can be prevented with proper safety measures.
Safety Tips to Avoid Falls From Elevation
- If possible, choose an elevated position that is close to your work area.
- Don’t wear loose clothing while working at heights.
- Be sure you have a secure footing and handhold before climbing.
- Carry tools in an organized way to prevent losing your balance or dropping them while working at heights. If possible, carry heavier items close to your body rather than by an arm’s length away.
- If using scaffolding, always use the ladder for access and egress. Never use the scaffolding as a ladder.
- If you must work at night, be sure your area is well lit to avoid falls due to darkness or poor lighting conditions.
- Wear proper footwear with slip-resistant soles and heels that are low enough not to catch on anything while climbing up or down a ladder.
- If you must carry materials up or down the stairs, go one step at a time. If there is no handrail available to use as support, consider using an alternate method such as carrying lighter loads and increasing the number of trips made rather than attempting to carry heavier weights in one trip.
- Be sure your work area is safe and secure before ascending or descending a ladder. Do not work on one step of the ladder, rather move up or down to another rung that has sturdy footing.
- Do not jump onto ladders from an elevated position such as off a roof.
- Avoid carrying tools while climbing by using belt loops and pockets instead if possible. If carrying by hand, hold the tool close to your body rather than at arm’s length away.
- Avoid balancing on the top two steps while climbing down a ladder.
Contact an Attorney for Help With Your Case
By following these safety tips, you can significantly decrease your chances of sustaining an injury. If you find yourself injured from a workplace fall, contact Shlesinger & deVilleneuve attorney office today for support navigating your legal case.